Jun 25, 2010

Texas Observations

I have lived in Texas for almost 7 months now. Here are a few more of my observations.


Every mall has at least one 'Texas' store. Most usually have two, one dedicated to the state, the other dedicated to Universities and professional sports teams.


When you stay at any hotel that has a continental breakfast, the waffle iron is in the shape of Texas.


They make 'Texas Edition' vehicles. Usually huge, lifted, off road type trucks, but have also been sighted as huge, lifted SUV's. They are also limited to American made vehicles.


When you go into ANY store, you will be guaranteed to find all of the following.
1. Someone wearing a University of Texas article of clothing.
2. Someone wearing a Texas A&M article of clothing
3. Someone wearing a Texas article of clothing.
4. Texas merchandise (even the GAP carries a university line of t-shirts)
5. The Texas state flag flying as high as the US flag. (You know we could succeed from the nation and still be A OKAY? That, apparently, is why we can do that)


People look at you weird when you say 'you guys' or 'you all' and not 'ya'll', then ask if you are from back east or California.


I'm fairly certain that braggy bumper stickers were invented here. If you get behind an SUV or a mini van you know how many kids they have, what their kids names are, where they are an honor student, if they take dance lessons/cheernation class, and what sports teams they are on.



Driving rules and regulations are seen as mere suggestions.


I am liking it more and more around here. It is a very entertaining place to be.

4 thoughts:

Bekah: said...

We totally applied for a position in Austin! How fun would that be? Find me a house by yours and I'll totally decorate yours! We can trade: you help me get fit and I'll decorate ;)

Allison said...

Love your observations about Texas! I will never forget my first grocery shopping trip - the checker was so friendly it made me uncomfortable and asked me if I was from California or New York. :) Also, you are so right about the waffle irons!

Berly said...

I love TEXAS!! I am glad you are getting used to it. The state flag thing makes me laugh bc I don't understand why other states don't do this. I don't even know what the state flag of Colorado looks like.

R A C H A E L said...

Kim- Other states can't. Texas could be its own nation because the have everything. Oil, sea ports, farming, livestock, and lumber. It would survive. Any other state couldn't. It was also in the whole deal when they joined the union that it could fly its flag at the same height as the US flag. SOOOO WIERD.