Apr 26, 2010

Notes of an allergic person

Last Friday, we went to a baptism. It was wonderful, Lana is a Russian woman who Damon taught along with the missionaries. The refreshments after looked yummy, but I didn't eat any because of this new allergy thing. I did get my kids some. I got a brownie with frosting for Liam, and a tiny smear of chocolate frosting got on my hand. Without even thinking, I licked it off. Instantly my tongue and roof of my mouth started tingling. I thought, "Crap." By the time I got home, my throat had swelled up, but I could still breathe and swallow fine. The weekend came and went, we went to Austin, and my throat will not go down. My neck is hard to the touch. It kills to swallow. I am on 800 mgs of ibuprofen every 5 hours and still nothing. It wipes me out. My body is fighting something it doesn't need to fight. I slept 16 hours and I have been up for 6, and I could go back to bed at 3 pm. All from a tiny amount of chocolate frosting.

I am so tired. It has changed everything. I can't eat anything from a bakery. I can't have anything that contains trace amounts of tree nuts, or that was made in the same plant as tree nuts. If I want dessert, I have to make it myself, and if its chocolate, I have to pay $12 a bar to get some that wasn't made in the same place as nuts.

No milk. No nuts. I am gonna be so skinny.

4 thoughts:

Robin said...

Oh. I am so sorry. We had a friend who had nut allergies and his wife was like a super sleuth at parties- figuring out what he could eat.

Dang- what a bummer.

Amy said...

that post makes me wanna cry! so sad! I hope you findyour groove and can be at peace with this new trial. Prayers for you!

larainydays said...

Oh Rachael, that is rotten. It is horrible to have to be obsessed with food for any reason. It's like you have to go around worrying about being poisoned.

Kelly Ovard said...

Rachael- is it the chocolate you are allergic to, or nuts around it? Peanuts too? You are already so skinny! wish you were still here, I need to go shopping, and we both know I'm not very good at it! Miss You-Kelly