May 25, 2018

Week 5 Negative Behaviors - The hubby is my bestie


  
Damon and I have been married for almost 16 years.  We have four kids.  We have been through hard times, easy times, and everything in between.  I would categorize us in the positive sentiment category.  We have arguments, for sure, but the example of a couple sticking out their tongues at each other over what car they should get made me laugh because we have literally done the exact something.  It breaks the tension, and ultimately checks us back into reality.  I think I need that a lot.  I dose of perspective, with the idea of “Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things?”  As I read Dr. Gottman’s book about how a marriage can go wrong, it made me so sad!  The examples of the arguments that he listened in on were horrible to hear.  I downloaded the audible version of the book as well because of time constraints this week, and hearing it was way worse than reading it.  I thought it was really interesting that he coined the term ‘flooding’ when the couple’s physiological responses were evident.  The body was literally flooding itself with stress hormones resulting in raised heart rate and other stress indicators. I noticed the same results happening in myself listening to them. 
In a marriage, friendship is everything.  If you aren’t friends with your spouse, then what is the point of marriage.  I view my husband as my ultimate confidant, who I can be myself with and there is no judgement or criticism.  He is my best friend.  I can tell him anything, and he tells me everything, and it is so beautiful.  Allowing someone in like that takes some bravery and vulnerability.  It is worth it though.  My husband and I share everything, we know everything, and we laugh a lot because of it.  Neither of us are perfect, and we have things we can definitely work on.  But we do work on them.  Because we know it is important, and actively working on yourself signifies to your spouse that you are trying.  Knowing that a person is trying to become a better person helps the other give the benefit of the doubt, which is so important in any relationship.  If we were to quick to pounce and glaringly show a mistake, eventually the marriage would deteriorate.  If there is an incident of something gone wrong, I usually start with, “Hey, are you okay?  (What ever the event was) wasn’t like you, did something happen today?”  More often than not it was something that was totally unrelated to me or the kids, and most of the time we don’t even know what was bothering us until we talk it out. 

What ways do you and your spouse maintain the friendship and support eachother?

0 thoughts: