May 4, 2018

Week 2 Marriage Trends - Thoughts on Marriage, Co-habitation, and Divorce



I have seen to some extent the idea that marriage is optional.  Many people genuinely do believe that living with your partner prior to marriage is a good thing, that living together will help ease them into marriage.  In my view, I feel like this is the easy out method.  Let me explain, I think that people in general are terrified of being vulnerable and authentic.  With cohabitation, it is like an insurance policy that one can walk away relatively unscathed if one or both of the individuals deem it ‘not working’.  Maybe this is a little judgmental, but when I hear ‘not working’, I want to probe a little to see if ‘not working’ actually means “I don’t want to change and put someone else first”.  Marriage is committing fully to another person.  Marriage is hard, it takes work, and it is so rewarding when two people work together towards a common goal.  Dallin H. Oaks said, “A good marriage does not require a perfect man or a perfect woman. It only requires a man and a woman committed to strive together toward perfection.”  This is not the easiest advice to follow.   If there is commitment in a marriage, it stands to be better for everyone involved, particularly if there are children in the marriage.  

Children benefit from a stable, healthy marriage.  In the 2012 article “The State of our Unions” research had been done and suggested that children stand to be more well-adjusted, emotionally stable individuals when they are raised in a home with both parents who are married.  In 2012 a staggering tipping point happened when 53% of births in the United States were to unmarried women under 30.  I am a mother, I have four children.  I remember the birth of my first.  I was newly married; my husband and I were approaching our two-year anniversary.  I remember feeling so overwhelmed and unprepared.  I could not imagine the stress and pressure a single mother must feel, or even a mother who has a boyfriend, but are not married.  There is so much uncertainty in that situation, and I believe that energetically a child can pick up on that.  It affects them too.   I do feel that children can sense emotional tension even if they don’t realize that is what they are picking up on. 

Now let’s talk divorce.  I am going to start by saying that often times a marriage can and should be saved.  There are no guarantees that the next marriage will be better or happier.  However, there are times that a marriage needs to end.  This is the most important part: I will never be the one that judges another for their choice to get a divorce.  There are two sides to every story.  There is no way I can fully understand what you are going through, what you have been through, and what you can and can not take on.  I am here to be a friend.  A support.  There is no need to make an already difficult situation harder.  No one needs that.  I hope that in these upcoming posts with my thoughts on marriage and what I am learning we can learn and discuss things frankly, with the spirit of respect and consideration.  The more we can learn from each other, the more we can grow as a society.

 Refrences

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/divorce?lang=eng

0 thoughts: