May 11, 2018

Week 3 Threats to Marriage - This is a hard one.

I learned a lot.  I read (okay, more like labored through and understood a fraction of) the ruling of Obergefell v. Hodges written by the supreme court justices Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito.  Maybe I was dreadfully unware, but the four dissenting supreme court justices ruled against the case not because of any morality issue, but that of it not being within their power to make sweeping legislation, thus overturning the states right to define marriage, as well as depriving each state of there electoral and legislative process. 
I’d like to share some back ground on my family.  I have two openly gay brothers, one of whom is married to his husband of nearly five years.  I love them.  It has been very difficult at times to be a Marriage and Family Studies major at BYU-Idaho, with some of the articles I had to read, and discussion boards I have to participate in.  This week though was not the case.  In one of the videos this week, it talked about two different cases that the supreme court had ruled on that changed the American culture.  Brown vs Board of Education, and Roe v Wade.  One resulted in being a racist equal to a social pariah, and the other, while still facing some criticism, is still able to voice dissenting opinion.  I feel that this is the way it is happening with gay marriage, in part because of the Christian values we uphold, but also the gay community.  I have had a lot of experience within this community, and they are such wonderful people who welcome anyone and everyone with open arms.  I can say the same thing for the Christian community. I think that one can be for traditional families, and not be a social pariah, if it is handled with respect and love.  One can be for gay marriage, and still be friends with one who is openly against it.  I have seen it in my own family.  Tolerance of both sides is key. 

What is your take on this?  How can both sides be heard and mutual tolerance reign supreme?

0 thoughts: