Apr 29, 2009

Thoughts

Today I received some bittersweet news. My "Grandmother" Marian Harris-Kroutil passed away last night. She was 90 years old. Grandmother is in quotes because she isn't... technically... Marian and my mother met at a Kinko's 11 years ago while my Mom was copying the Christmas letter. She was admiring my little brother and sister, at the time they must have been 5 and 3ish. She never had children. My mother invited her to our Christmas Eve dinner, thinking that she would say no. She didn't. I don't think she has missed one since. In addition she has been to numerous violin and piano recitals and choir concerts , many Thanksgivings, Easters, birthdays, sporting events, and other family gatherings. She is an honorary member of our family.


Marian is truly one of a kind. Always counted on to make some feisty comment. Letting me know I could get the same effect with my ever changing hair color with wigs, scolding me for getting fat when I was pregnant with Zoey, telling me I should wear skirts if I wanted to be a lady and not look like a man, and one of the best backseat drivers I know... I could go on and on and on. No bigger than a minute, she maybe weighed 85 pounds. I remember how she always told me that she would go for a walk every day in her little retirement community, and walk the opposite way so she could give everyone hugs. Then she would lift her little 2 pound weights to keep her strong. She had such stories. Her little apartment was filled with things from all over the world, and stories to go with each. I hope she wrote some of them down.


Marian always kept busy. She volunteered at the Children's Museum, cooked dinner several times for Damon and I when we were newlyweds, and I am sure many others in her ward. (at those dinners, we always played rummicub while we ate pineapple upside down cake, and she always won, and she always would change the rules when she was loosing...)


A few years ago she married Russle Harris, and it was so sweet to see her in love. She was so happy, giving me a surplus of marital advice. I am so glad that they were sealed in the temple. She was anxious to get back to him, he died maybe a year after they were married...


I never thought she would die. I know that is so stupid, but she just was such a fighter. I miss her. I didn't think this would be as hard as it is, for some reason. I admire my mother through all of this. Her faithful friend. Always paying visits, making sure she was taken care of, helping her with anything she needed, for a woman she met in Kinko's. My Mom is such an amazing woman. Marian broke her hip late Saturday night, and quickly deteriorated and passed away at 10 pm last night. I feel so blessed that my mother invited her to Christmas dinner. Its so funny how the Lord brings people into your lives, and the enormous blessings you receive from them.


Marian Kroutil Harris. Truly, One of a Kind.


3 thoughts:

Berly said...

rach - I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful blessing to have had her in your life. What a fun lady.

larainydays said...

Oh Rachael, this was so sweet. Marian was a blessing to our whole family. We will not be the same without her. I know she will enjoy hearing you play the violin for her at her funeral.

Brooke said...

That was such a sweet post Rachael...loved every word.