Aug 10, 2009

Aspen- take two

OK- so as you can tell, I am getting caught up for the summer.

Our beautiful niece Ashlee came for a whole week! It was awesome to have her here. When we picked her up from the airport we went and found her old house. That was fun, and took 2 hours. I am not so hot with directions.
After a few days kickin' it here, visiting Garden of the Gods, getting Chai's in Mantiou, and getting poured on so we couldn't shop, we went to Aspen.
It was awesome and really relaxing. We woke up when we wanted, ate when we wanted, shopped, talked, played at the park, and watched Coraline freaky and Pride and Prejudice. The first morning we were there I woke up early, put on my tennis shoes, walked outside the condo and hiked. For an hour or so. It was so beautiful. I brought my ipod and listened to classical piano. It made me really miss my brother. Max is a bit of a virtuoso at the piano. But the beauty of that mountain, with the trees, and meadows with beautiful wild flowers, it was so peaceful and serene. Inspiring. I hope to do our 2009 family portrait at one particular spot. I love being in the mountains.
The park.

There is this one wall in Aspen. On the side of a restaurant. All six times we have been to Aspen I think,"must take photos with the wall." With Ashlee here, I decided, "no time like the present!" Much to Ashlee's dismay. She hates getting photos done. Too bad she has an aunt like me...





Is that wall not the coolest thing you have ever seen?























She is a doll, isn't she.
In Colorado, we grow some seriously amazing peaches. We hit up the fruit stand in Aspen. When they heard I intended to make fresh peach cobbler for Damon and Ashlee as a final night treat, they gave us their over ripe peaches. For Free. Awesome. The cobbler was the best I have ever made. We also bought a lot of peaches as well. They are all gone now...

We stoped by Independence Pass on the way home. That road is DEATH. There are three times on that road that only one car can pass at a time. Coupled with blind corners, steep grades, and no guard rail on most parts, it is aptly named "THE ROAD OF DEATH". I drove it all by myself. I have never done that before. I put on a U2 cd, found my happy place, and kicked that road's skinny little touche.

After Aspen, Ashlee only had one more day with us. To my shocked dismay, I found out she had NEVER played 'Pass the Pigs." Ever. She had never heard of Battleship, Phase 10, or Banana Grams. I died a little inside. So. We went and scoured the Springs for Pass the Pigs. We found it. YIPEE!!!! We had a blast. Eating peach cobbler, watching "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE...Dance...dance...dance", and hoping to roll a double leaning Jowler. We miss her a lot. The kiddos do too... I would steal her but I think her Mom would miss her too much. We are so glad she came.

0 thoughts: