Jun 4, 2008

My Little Brother's Letter


(Max is the tall one on the left.)

As most of you know, my brother Max is on a mission to the Baltic States. His mission includes Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. Right now he is in Narva, Estonia. He is speaking Russian, and is growing personally and spiritually at an incredible rate. I am not really sure why, but something in his last letter really made think. The last 40 days, our ward participated in a 40 day fast. We were fasting for missionary experiences, or, for me, the courage to actually speak to those I am friends with about the church. When I got his letter today, there was something in there that I think was the answer I was looking for.

"Something happened this week that was unexpectedly hard for me. You all know that there is a big problem with alcoholism here, and that Elder Eddington has a soft spot for the drunks. It's always hard to see them, but a few days ago it was almost unbearable. We were walking a good distance behind a drunk man that was staggering and swerving all over the sidewalk. I could tell that sooner or later he would fall if he didn't sit down, but there's no way to talk sense to them so you just have to help when you can. Well he staggered down a pathway to the left and we kept going straight. I stared over my shoulder to make sure he was okay. He got off balance and started leaning forward, taking big steps, getting faster and faster trying to keep himself up. He got moving too fast, and dove forward, smashing his face on the pavement. His hat flew off his head, and he just laid there, motionless. My companion and i hurried over to help him. we picked him up, and saw the damage. His nose was definitely broken, with blood pouring out of it onto his shirt. I also think he broke a cheekbone, and his eyebrow was split open. As I looked at him I had the heaviest, most poignant feeling in my heart. The sentence "Max, this is your brother" kept scrolling through my head. Sometime in that man's life, he meant the world to someone. He was his mother's little boy, or the crush of some girl in grade school. Being here and seeing the struggles of these people has given me such an appreciation and reverence for God. Think of how much courage it took to send his boys and girls to this wicked earth, knowing that some would be lost. Think of how hard it is for him to see our heartaches and guilt when we mess up. I feel so sorry for the mistakes I've made because I know the grief it has caused my Maker."

How great. How profound. I would do anything for my brothers and sister. If I really think of every one I meet as my brother or sister, I should be crawling out of my skin to share the gospel, do service, help in any way I can. It is wonderful how the Lord works through other people to answer your prayer. I am so grateful for Him, and my brother. This is the encouragement I needed.

6 thoughts:

Robin said...

This was wonderful to read. Thanks so much for sharing. Max sounds like a great missionary.

Unknown said...

You are such a good person - I am happy for your family that they have you!

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing this great experience with all of us. I needed a good cry.

Hans and Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing that.

Berly said...

I loved reading the letter and seeing the picture. How awesome to read that after finishing our 40day fast. I know how much you love your brother, so how great for you to feel close to him through this letter. What a blessing!! Thanks for sharing.

Natalie Francis said...

Rachael... so good to hear from you! It has been so long. You have such a cute family!! Thank goodness for blogs to keep us all connected.