Jun 29, 2008

Girls Camp

Whew!!! Wow, that was a looonnnggg week. It was amazing, spiritual, and dirty.

Tuesday- Ugotawana Rock ( Stand steadfast and immovable)

We went up to Wellington Lake at 5:30 AM on Tuesday. Too early, Tamzen and I had to make a break to the nearest 7 11 for some big gulps before the two hour trip. When we got to camp, we were greeted by the Camp Directors, and the YCL's all acting like crazed teenagers, but the girls loved it. We were inducted into our tribe, and the leaders tribe name was "Wanahaucaloogie". Other tribe names were "Eatsomuch", "Dancealikeameanit", "OrangeStarseeker", and "Shestandssopretty". Jen Carlson came up for the day and led us in some team building exercises that were so great for the girls, and I got some really great pics. She read us the Sneeches, and I loved it. I've never heard that Dr. Suess story. We, well not we, but some of the girls played in the lake, and I watched and began choreographing the leaders water ballet. It was fab. More on that later... Tuesday night was dinner, followed by a chastity talk from the bishop. It was really hard for me to sit there and not laugh at some of the responses from the beehive age group. I love how naive and innocent these girls are... The Bishop was great to these girls, and stayed the whole week. How many Bishops do you know that will do that!?















Wednesday- Ugotawana Star ( Stand for truth and righteousness)












Wednesday was hike day. I have hiked around Lake Wellington before, so I knew what was coming. Some of those poor girls felt like dying. But I was so impressed with the amount help and assistance that the girls gave each other. We hiked about 3 miles to the top of this rock thing and Liz gave her talk, which was awesome, and then we ate lunch, certified in more camping things, and then hiked back down. When we got to the bottom, Joyana had a handicap hike, where the girls were paired up and one was given a handicap that the other had to help them. It was really quite funny. The girls with faux concussions were my favorite. Liz and I pretended to be preggo and going into labor, complete with Lamaze breathing. At one point my water broke (my camelbak leaked). It was all very dramatic. After the hike was more playing in the lake, and the leaders were wiped out. That night, Joyana and Betsy put this totally amazing program together about Emma Smith, and how she was a star (Standing for truth and righteousness). I had no idea how much hardship she had endured. It was wonderful with musical numbers by Joyana Betsy, and Jen, and Liz's dance. I played violin, but couldn't really see the music through the tears, so I didn't really sound all that great.... After the program, it was a lot of visiting with Liz. I think she is my new favorite person. She is so great. The snipe hunt was the best in history. I think the most successful snipe hunt I have ever seen. The YCLs (youth camp leaders) did an amazing job at thoroughly freaking out the first year girls. There were even tears shed. When it was time for lights out, Jen had to yell at them to walk the 20 feet with out a flashlight. I believe the phrasing was, "Seriously!? Snipes aren't real, go to bed!!" That night during tribal prayers, one even prayed to know if snipes were real or not, and if they were real, that they would be protected, and not get eaten. Gotta love first years.



Thursday- Ugotawana shine (Shine your testimony, share it ect)




















Thursday was our high adventure day. We started out the day rappelling. The Bishop said it was a easy hike up to the cliff. YEAH RIGHT! The fact that I was out of breath by the time I got there says something. It was only 15 minutes, but imagine 15 minutes on a stair master at level 20. My buns were burning. Anyways, I was so proud of all the girls. They all at least got up there and attempted to rappel of a 80 foot cliff. For some of the 12 year olds, it was a huge feat. I am so proud of them. As well stumbled down that awful mountain hike, we went to Camp Firewalker, and entertained ourselves at the playground. The playground is made up of the leap of faith, (a pine tree that has been stripped of all its branches, except for little nubs that you climb up and then stand on the top holding on to nothing, and then jump. Much easier said then done.) The catwalk, (two trees about 15 feet apart, and a log about 6 inches wide 20 feet above the ground that you walk across, touch the other tree, walk to the middle, and then jump.) Jacobs ladder, which is impossible, I don't care what the staff member said. We did witness some seriously classic wipe outs. The Zip Line of death, (No way is that thing safe), the bouldering wall, and archery. The girls were so brave, and 2 even stood on the top of the leap of faith for a few seconds. I did the leap of faith 2 years ago, and that was enough for me, and then I did the catwalk this year. Its a lot harder than it looks.















Thursday afternoon, the water ballet commenced. I was in charge of this momentous challenge. The leaders ballet was totally awesome. We had floaty duckies, swim caps with HUGE flowers on them, nose plugs, and a red balloons. Our music was 99 Red Balloons, and we rocked it out. I would post the video, but I have been threatened by 4 of the leaders who participated that if it ever hit the Internet, I would die. My favorite had to be tribe EASTSOMUCH. They did their ballet to "His Cheeseburger" from veggie tales. I almost peed my pants laughing so hard. They had these inflatable animals, and bubbles.

Testimony meeting was surprisingly quiet, but none the less spiritual. The YCL's once again did such a great job with their devotionals. I was so proud of them. The YCL's are in my age group. I have been with these girls since they were maimaids (14-16 years old). Now they are seniors in high school, or graduated, and I am so proud of them for the decisions they make. You could not find a better group of girls anywhere. Tori, Amanda, Dani, and Beth, I love you and am so proud of you. You are some of my closest friends, and I am so grateful that I am your leader, even though I think of you more like sisters.

Friday

Jen and I cursed a stupid bird pack that woke us up at 6 AM. It was like the most annoying alarm in Dolby 5.0 digital surround sound. We ate, packed, and went home. I took a shower until the water ran cold.

I just have to say thank you to Robin. Our beloved chief RobRob. The alpha and omega of camp directors. You are awesome. And to Joyana, who puts so much into everything that she can barely contain her emotions. The girls respond so well to you. Kim, who came up there with her 4 month old baby. The YW pres who will sacrifice so much to make sure she is there for her young women. All the other leaders up there are amazing, and Tamzen, who took on the food for 30 people for 5 days. What a woman. I also have to say a HUGE thanks to my fabulous Mother in law, Fancy Nancy. She came up to watch my kids for me while Damon was working so he wouldn't have to use vacation. You are amazing and I can't thank you enough.




All in all, camp was a major success, and I just feel lucky I got to go and photograph the whole thing.

9 thoughts:

Rachel said...

What fun! I can't wait until my daugher can experience such faith promoting activities.

Unknown said...

all I can say is....AMEN!!!

Natalie Francis said...

I love all the beautiful pictures. Girls camp has many memories and I just have to say how different AZ camp is than other places (I used to live in CO before moving here). What fun!

Berly said...

Looks like fun!! I would also have to add a huge THANKYOU to the leaders. What alot of work.

Brooke said...

Ohhh....I loved girls camp, brings back such good memories! I bet you were such a fun leader :o)

xcdenke said...

Great pics! You are amazing. Ahh... Girls Camp, brings back so many memories. Going as a leader just isn't as much fun. Shouldn't really play pranks anymore. I guess there is this thing called "being a good example," or something. ;)

R A C H A E L said...

Yeah...Carrie, you would be a great leader. The good example this is not my strong point. Between the snipe hunt, leaving plastic bugs and snakes in the girls tents, and playing a lice prank, girls camp is even more fun as a leader because you don't get in trouble...

Robin said...

YOu were wonnderful at camp.I love you and love getting to know you. You failed to mention the big stick club!!!

Thanks for all of your help at camp. The girls adore you and you are such a perfect example to them.

You made me laugh at camp and that is why i love you so muc.

Dani said...

Rachel, I LOVE YOU!! You are so amazing, talented, and so pretty! I am so glad you went to camp, and you are my leader. You mean so much to me, thank you for everything! Love ya girl!